We observe, we analyse, we predict.
The purpose of Weather forecasting is to predict the future state of the weather at a given location so that users/public can plan their activities accordingly.
Rwanda Meteorology Agency issue forecast of different time scales:
1. Now casting: A description of current weather from 1 minute to about 2 hours.
2. Short-range weather forecasting: A description of weather parameters from 3 hours up to 3 days .
3. Medium-range weather forecasting: Weather Forecast from 3 days to less that 10 days
4. Extended-range weather forecasting: Usually averaged and expressed as a departure from climate values for the period of 10 days and up to 30 days.
5. Monthly outlook: Description of averaged weather parameters expressed as a departure (deviation, variation, anomaly) from climate values for that month.
6. Seasonal forecast: Description of averaged weather parameters expressed as a departure from climate values for that 90 day period.
Rainfall Categories observed within 24 hours:
| <1mm|| Trace|
| <5mm|| Light Rain|
| 5-20mm|| Moderate Rain|
| 20-50mm|| Heavy Rain|
| >50 mm|| Very Heavy|
Some Key Words used in Weather Forecast:
Mostly Cloudy: Amount of clouds covering 60% to 100% of the sky
Partly Cloudy: Amount of clouds covering 30% to 60% of the sky
Few Clouds: Amount of clouds covering 0% to 30% of the sky